Saturday, December 7, 2013

Spicy Vegan Corn Chowder


I'm a bit lagging behind in my posts due to heavy work load and traveling to Portland, Oregon for six days over Thanksgiving to spend it with my besties, but I'm hoping that when I head back to Michigan for a well needed long two week Christmas break that I'll be able to catch up on the last few recipes that  have been sitting in my queue.

But nonetheless - it's been kinda chilly in LA and nothing makes me more excited than a huge pot of soup that I can eat over the next couple of days and this spicy vegan corn chowder is a variation of a non-vegan corn chowder I found on pinterest and made it my own. It was quite light and very delicious. Put the leftovers in a mason jar and took into work. Perfection.

Ingredients:
  • 1 small onion
  • 1 c celery
  • 1 c carrot
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 2 1/2 c vegetable stock
  • 2 c frozen corn
  • 2 c almond milk
  • 1 T flour
  • 1 small can of green chilies
  • 1 t garlic powder
  • salt and pepper
  • 1/2 red pepper for garnish
  • 1 jalapeño for garnish
  • cilantro for garnish


1. Dice onion, celery, carrot and garlic into same size pieces.


2. In non-stick pan, add onion and celery and cook until soft. 


3. Dice jalapeño and red pepper until small pieces. Set aside for garnish.


4. Add the carrots and garlic to the pan with the onions and celery. Cook until the garlic begins to brown but not burn.


5. In a bowl add the frozen corn and green chilies.


6. In a soup pot bring the vegetable stock to a boil.


7. Reduce heat to medium and add the vegetables from the pan and the corn and green chilies and cook until the vegetables are tender - about 20 minutes.


8. Reduce heat and add the almond milk and flour - stirring quickly with a wisk until the flour dissolves and the soup begins to thicken.


9. Top with jalapeños, red pepper, and cilantro!


If you need a fast, perfect soup filled with tons of vegetables then you'll love this soup! Not only is it gorgeous but when you're craving summer corn, this is a great winter substitution. I plan on making this throughout the winter, especially before episodes of Homeland and Ja'mie Private School Girl.

Loving the holidays,

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...