Sunday, November 24, 2013

Vegan Persimmon Galette


When it comes to baking, I'm still quite the novice. I'm not able to improvise on recipes yet because I still see pastry as an exact science that I shouldn't stray to far from. I'm trying to nail down basics, like bagels, english muffins, and now galette dough and once I'm comfortable I can flap my creativity wings  a bit more and stop relying so closely on other people recipes and create my own. But for this post, I followed pretty closely this recipe and in the end - turned out pretty decent for a first go at it, but always, alllwayyys, room for improvement. 

Crust Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 c flour
  • 1 t sugar
  • 1 t fine Himalayan sea salt
  • 1 t cinnamon
  • 8 T earth balance vegan butter
  • 4 T ice water
Filling Ingredients
  • 4 medium persimmons 
  • 3 T sugar
  • zest of 1 orange
  • zest of 1 lemon
  • pinch of salt
  • juice of 1 lemon
  • 2 T almond milk for brushing


1.  In a bowl - mix flour, sugar and Himalayan sea salt


2. Chop up butter into small pieces and sprinkle into the flour. At this point, I thought cinnamon would be a delicious add to the crust!


3. Using your fingertips, break up the butter into pea-sized pieces.


4. Drizzle with ice water, 1 T at at time until the dough comes together with a squeeze.


5. Place dough ball on counter and divide into even portions. I split into four portions. Using the palm of your hand, drag the dough across the counter and reform back into a ball.


6. And flatten into a small disc. Do this with all four sections.


7. Separate discs using plastic wrap. Cover and place in the fridge to chill for at least 30 minutes.


8. After a quick chill in the fridge, on a floured surface, roll the discs out into 5-6 inch rounds.


9. Re-wrap with the plastic wrap, stack back onto the plate, and place in the fridge for an additional 30 minutes to chill (or up to 2 days if you are making ahead!)


10. For the filling - cut the persimmons in half and scope out the insides using a spoon.


11. Slice into thin slices. Remove any of the brown seeds that may be there.


12. In a small bowl, add sugar, lemon and orange zest, and a pinch of sea salt. 


13. Mix until throughly combined.


14. Toss with the persimmon slices and the juice of one whole lemon.


15. Preheat the oven to 400° F. 

16. Pull the chilled discs out of the oven. Fill with the persimmon filling making sure there is enough dough to fold up and create little pleats.


17. Place on parchment paper and lightly brush with almond milk. Sprinkle with a touch more sugar and bake for 20 minutes until crust is golden brown and filling in bubbling.


18. Serve with fresh fruit - like the orange you zested and a vine full of red grapes.


I should confess - this was full of firsts! This was my first time ever even tasting a persimmon and I'm really happy that I got to enjoy it with this vegan galette. The filling really turned into a syrup when baking, so the persimmons were just soaking in flavor. The dough was flakey and buttery. Again - more firsts! I had never used vegan butter before and it was a really great replacement for any margarine or butter I have cooked with in the past. The "butter" has the same amount of calories so it's not a low-fat replacement. I'm really looking forward to perfecting the dough a bit more and filling with many, many different fruits to share with friends and family.

Holler at me if you want a vegan galette!

Cheers,

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...