Sunday, December 8, 2013

Vegan Cranberry, Fennel and Walnut Risotto


Fresh cranberries sounded really scary to me when I first saw them in my FF2Y box. I had so many questions - do you cut them in half? Are there seeds? How do I cook them down? Can I even eat them raw? I figured I wing it and throw them in a risotto and hope for the best. Since I feel like I've ~mastered~ risotto (especially with using traditionally, non-risotto making rice) that I've hit the point where I can add any combination and follow my same instructions and it will turn out pretty well.

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 c arboria rice
  • 4 1/2 c vegetable stock
  • 1 c coconut milk
  • 1 T earth balance vegan butter
  • 1/2 c white wine
  • 1 c fresh cranberries
  • 1/2 fennel bulb
  • 1/2 c walnut - save 1/8 c for garnish
  • 1 small white onion
  • 1 T lemon juice
  • 1 T maple syrup
  • orange zest for garnish 


1. In a non-stick pan quickly toast the walnuts until warm and nutty.


2. Dice white onion and roughly chop fennel bulb.


3. In a deep pan, add onions, fennel, cranberries and earth balance vegan butter. Stir until cranberries begin to pop and onions soften.


4. Add the arboria rice and stir for one minute until mixed.


5. Add the white wine and stir for another minute until the wine has cooked out.


6. In a sauce pan, bring the vegetable stock and coconut milk to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.


7. Add one ladle at a time until the rice absorbs all of the liquid before adding another. Keep stirring until the rice is cooked all of the way through, about 40 minutes.


8. Add the walnuts and the lemon juice. Stir until all incorporated.


9. Zest 1 large orange.


10. Finely dice the remaining walnuts that have been set aside, about 1/8 cup.


11. Top the risotto with the finely diced walnuts, orange zest and just a drizzle of maple syrup for a touch of sweetness.


The color of this dish is really the star. The cranberries dye the rice this gorgeous, rich pink color that is perfect for the holiday season. The tartness of the cranberries and fennel are complimented with the sweetness of the soften onions and coconut milk. The walnuts add a slight crunch and nuttiness that just wraps everything together in this creamy dish. I love making risotto because it feels like an arm work out and is a great vessel for experimentation. 

Cheers,

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...