Sunday, May 5, 2013

Cinco de Mayo weekend roundup

I knew this weekend was going to be a good one for a number of reasons - but the main one was the positive energy I was feeling when I left the office on Friday afternoon and this is what my drive home looked like.
Manhattan Beach, CA 

I cannot even tell you a) the last time I left the office when the sun was still up b) when the ocean and the sky were the same color c) and it was 90 degrees outside - trust me when I said the energy was perfect.

I'm going to be honest. My celebration of Cinco de Mayo would be graded a D-. However, that is because my personal quest to consume tequila sun-up to sun-down was quite a failure.  What my weekend was filled with was good food, good weather, good friends, one spur of the moment idea, and one very, very drunk cat*.

Lately, when the sun pokes it's head out at 6:30am on a Saturday I take that as a natural sign to get up and start my day and I used that energy to tackle some projects that I have been neglecting. I got a car wash and went to Target to buy some much needed new storage for my bedroom. Came home - and reorganized and redecorated my room, even hanging my framed Murder By Death poster that has been leaning against my wall for well over a year.


Some gorgeous flowers in somebody's yard coming home from a yard sale.

While waiting for our friend James to drive up from San Diego, Amy and I had an sudden realization that the reason there were a herd of teenage boys hanging out outside of the local Manhattan Beach comic store, The Comic Bug - was that it was May the Forth be with you day as well as Free Comic Book Day (thanks Twitter!). So we jumped in the car to check it out.



As you can tell, we were super jazzed to be there! There were a bunch of people dressed up in some pretty elaborate (and decent) costumes and an Obi Wan Kenobi that was handing out Wookie cookies. I had to eat one. Once inside we were able to each get 4 free comics. What a deal! 

TMNT, Wizard School, Criminal Macabre, and Batman
When we got back from The Comic Bug, James had just showed up. After consuming a couple of drinks at the apartment, we walked down to the strand to hit up the Red Wings game that was sure to be playing at every bar. The great thing about the walk down to the strand was not discussing season 2 of Homeland in depth, but running into this hilarious drunk cat, who I sorta spooked when I paparazzi'd him during his "nap."

Drunk kitty
If I had known that this cat would be me in a mere 3 hours, I would have laughed and brushed it off. But alas - I was fast asleep after Red Wings, beers, and pizza (and an attempt to watch Saw) by 11:00pm.

To continue the Saw marathon - the three of us watched Saw II and Saw III with a carrot, ginger, orange, and apple juice and lunch wedge in between.

For lunch we went to this place that I have never been to before called Tin Roof Bistro in El Segundo. And let me tell you - this restaurant is a hidden gem! I can't believe this was the first time I have been here/even heard of it! It did not disappoint.

Moscow Mule <3
Caramelized Brussels Sprouts
butter, garlic, lemon, anchovies, capers, bruschetta
Bacon & date, spicy BBQ chicken, arugula salad pizza
Apple panna cotta, blueberry ginger pie, chocolate mousse 
I basically will not be able to eat for the next 72 hours! Officially in a pizza coma - but it was #WorthIt

Cheers,

Kate

*cat was not actually drunk. Just passed the f out in the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...