Monday, May 27, 2013

Banh You? No Banh Mi!


I'm actually really excited and proud on my first attempt at making Banh Mi, the Vietnamese sandwich that is typically made with pork. But since I'm a ~flexitarian~ these days, I subbed the meat for marinated tofu and it was bomb.com. I based my Banh Mi off of this recipe I found via pinterest. 

1. Remember those veggies I pickled? Well, it's been 48 hours and I could. not. wait. to bite into them. They are delicious! Another success!

NOM NOM NOM!

 2. I sliced the pickles thin - almost coleslaw-like. That way I didn't have to use my entire jar and they would not be falling off the bread when you bite into the sandwich. I'm telling you, these pickles are so so so good.
Sliced pickled zucchini, onion, green pepper, and carrot.

3. I went to the Asian market today to pick up some of the necessary sauces that I would need to make the marinade for the tofu. In this particular marinade I used 2 teaspoons rice vinegar, 5 tablespoons soy sauce,  a healthy squeeze of sriracha, and 2 teaspoons of sesame oil. I think next time I can cut back 1 teaspoon on the sesame oil. It has one strong flavor profile.

Mix together and whisk with a fork to combine.

4. Marinate the tofu for a couple of minutes before laying in a medium-to-hot pan. I use extra firm tofu that I drain and then press under a couple sheets of paper towel for a few minutes. Really helps it get that fried texture without using any oil.

Tofu time!

 5.  Assembling the sandwich is the best part. I bought a nice piece of fresh ciabatta bread and sliced to be slightly larger than the piece of tofu. I piled on as many of the pickled vegetables that would fit.

Yep - can't wait to eat you!

 6. Last but not least - a handful of the delicious cilantro right on top! Then dive in. I think I devoured this sandwich in less than ten bites (a new record)!

Seriously, I love you.

I'll just leave you with that last image for a little bit. Soak it up, envy it, and know you can make it in less than 20 minutes. In fact - I'll have another one for dinner.

Cheers,

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...