Saturday, May 25, 2013

Homemade Pickled Veggies


I've been itching to make pickled vegetables for a while now, and this long Memorial weekend seemed like the perfect time to get a couple of jars into the fridge. The recipe I used was pretty fool-proofed, and I tweaked it ever so slightly. I can't wait to taste the final product - in 48 looooong hours!!

Here are the (beyond) simple steps.

1. Select what vegetables you want to pickle, and cut them into meaty strips that fit in your jars. I went out and got mason jars from Target and cut to size.

I already had organic zucchini, green peppers, and carrots at home. I can't wait to try cucumbers, hot peppers, green beans, asparagus, and any fun extras that come in my Farm Fresh To You box.

Sliced zucchini, carrot, and green peppers.
2. I filled each jar with a small spoonful of minced garlic and a teaspoon of pickling spices that I got from Ralph's. The spices are: mustard seed, cinnamon, ginger, bay leaves, red pepper, caraway, allspice, black pepper, coriander, cloves, soybeans, and cottonseed oil. 

Pickling spice and garlic in a mason jar.

3. You want to bring a pot of salted water to a quick boil. Plop those veggies in there for no more than 2 minutes. I opted for 90 seconds since zucchini and green peppers are already tender vegetables.

Quick blanch!
4. Next you want to bring 2 cups of white vinegar, 1/4 cup of sugar, and a healthy handful of kosher salt to a simmer. Takes about 3-4 minutes. 

Sugar, white vinegar, and Kosher salt.
5. Once the brine comes to a simmer, remove from the heat and pour over your packed veggies. Let them sit on the counter until room temperature. Cover with your sealed lids and place in the fridge for a minimum 48 hours before you eat. 

Waiting to cool down. I can't wait to eat!
I had enough extra brine to make one more jar. So I grabbed some leftover white onion, cut to size, and repeated the same process.

When the pickles are ready, I think I'm going to attempt to make a Banh Mi sandwich that I saw on Pinterest. Pick up some nice ciabatta bread and grill some tofu, add the pickles and yum yum yum!


Cheers,

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...