Monday, November 11, 2013

Tar & Roses

My older brother is in town for the first time since I've been living in LA. Which gives me the perfect opportunity to visit some of the restaurants that I've been wanting to go to for quite some time and one of them is Tar & Roses in Santa Monica. I've said it before, but I love that Los Angeles is the king of small plates. To me there is nothing better than ordering as many things off the menu and sharing with the people that you're going with. Best way to try and enjoy a bunch of different dishes without completely breaking the bank. And per usual, all veganism is suspended during times of delicious restaurant visits! 

Onto the onslaught of tastiness overload!

Bone marrow | onion marmalade | sea salt | sour dough
Atlantic sardine crostini | avocado | pickled onion | cilantro | lime
Oxtail dumplings | san bai su | chili | green onion
Beef "pho"-paccio | bean shoots | thai basil | cilantro | chili
Wood roasted sunchokes | goat cheese | lemon | hazelnuts 
Balsamic glazed ribs | fried basil
Braised lamb belly | minted apple chutney
Squid ink fettucini | octopus | blistered tomatoes | breadcrumb 
King trumpet mushrooms | soft egg | rosemary | chili de arbol 
Sticky toffee bread pudding
Check please!!
This meal definitely goes up to the top of the list with Ink, Waterloo & City, and The Tripel as one of the best meals that I've had in Los Angeles. The ambiance of the room felt nice and cozy. They had a great beer menu (no liquor which is okay) and I'm obsessed with any restaurant (or any establishment for that fact) that has light bulbs with exposed filament. Love it! The meal was coursed pretty well and the staff was very nice and enjoyed discussing the menu, which I love.

If I absolutely had to pick favorite dishes it would be the oxtail dumplings, the beef "pho"-paccio, the squid ink fettucini, and the trumpet mushrooms, but overall the entire meal was balanced with acidic dishes and rich dishes. Icing on the cake was the bloody sticky toffee pudding. Please bury me in sticky toffee bread pudding if I happen to have an untimely death. Please? Please!

Another great restaurant on the list. So stayyyy tuned!

Cheers,

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...