Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Chickpea Burgers


I'm becoming mildly obsessed with the Trader Joe's cookbook. This recipe was perfect since I already had all of the ingredients already minute the celery, but that was an easy pick up from the grocery store on my way home from work. For being meatless - these burgers are a knockout of flavor, protein, and low-cal aka my kind of dinner.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
  • 2 small carrots, shredded
  • 2 small celery stalks, finely chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 (15oz) can of chickpeas/garbanzo beans, drained
  • 1 1/2 t curry powder
  • 1 t ground cumin
  • 1/2 t ground coriander
  • 1/8 t cayenne pepper, add more if you like it spicy
  • 1/2 t salt
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3 T olive oil 


1. Shred the carrot, dice the onion and celery, mince the garlic and add it all in on mixing bowl.


2. Drain the garbanzo beans and add to the bowl.


3. Using a potato masher (I was sans one and had to use a meat pounder) mash all of the ingredients together, leaving some large chunks of garbanzo beans.

This was def tricky. Recommend having a masher!

4. Add the curry, coriander, cumin, cayenne, and salt to the mixture and mix thoroughly.


5. Once all the spices are incorporated evenly, add the 1/4 cup of flour to bind the mixture. Using your hands works best for this part.



6. Once the flour is evenly mixed throughout, form the burgers using your hands. In a pan - heat the olive oil and place each of your burgers into the pan. Cook for five minutes on one side.


7. Flip and cook for another three minutes. I was pretty impressed that the burgers held their shape.

Kinda impressed they didn't crumble on the flip!

8. Remove from pan, enjoy with summer corn, roasted asparagus, and blackberries. The perfect dinner.

I 💘 everything on this plate.

Like I mentioned before, the burgers are packed with flavor. I added more cayenne than the recipe calls for, but I also like my food extra spicy. We also had some leftover vegan mole that Amy had made the night before. We heated that up, put a large spoonful on top and it was beyond spectacular.

The recipe yields seven but I was only able to make four decent size burgers, and I'm okay with that. Worst comes to worst, I have leftovers, which I guess is a win/win!

Cheers,

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...