Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Circa {1988}

I celebrated my birthday last Wednesday. I turned 25 and it was awesome. 

Not only did one of my best friends come in from the City of Roses but then we shimmied our cute booties to Las Vegas to continue the celebration with our resident BFF holding down the fort in Sin City.

This was my third birthday in Los Angeles and the first that did not include me going to a bar and staying out until the wee hours of the morning. Instead, I took the day off work and did the exact same thing... just during business hours. However - a visit to Circa in Manhattan Beach was a great addition to tradition.

Circa opened in Manhattan Beach this January and has been getting rave reviews online and by word-of-mout around my office. My co-workers know good food, so it seemed like the perfect place to celebrate. Circa also does my favorite thing, and I think LA may be the unofficial king of, small plates. I freaking love the idea of ordering the entire menu and splitting it amongst besties. 

Onto the small plates!

The Charcuterie Plate

I could live off this

The Garden

Fried Shoshito Peppers
Radishes | Bonito Shavings | Japanese Chili Peppers
Arancici (Crispy Risotto)
Beets | Goat Cheese | Peppered Onion Marmalade

The Sea

Spanish Can 'O' Sardines
Shaved Fennel and Wild Herbs | House-churned Butter | Pan Rustique
Black Olive Gnocchi
Dungeness Crab | Peas | Lemon

The Land

Steamed Buns
Crispy Pork Belly | S.S.U. Quail Egg | Spicy Scallion Relish
Duck Confit Tacos
Pipian Verde | Pickled Jalapeño | Cilantro

The Desserts

S'more in a Jar
Churros with Homemade Chocolate and Butterscotch Sauce

The vibe at Circa is really chill and cool. They have couches that double as dinner seating. The lights are at a decently dimmed setting, and the bar area is really rad. They have a masterful cocktail and beer list (including draft cocktails, that we kinda avoided like the plague).

What I'm looking forward to next time I come to Circa is to try out their Sunday Supper which is a flat rate for a curated menu from the chef. And if it's anything, anything at all, like my birthday meal, then there is no way I could be disappointed.

Cheers,

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...