Saturday, June 15, 2013

Vegan Cheeseburger Wrap!


So I've been a full-blown vegan now for 31 days. I also have been jonesing for In n Out for about 5 days so I decided to look for a vegan recipe that would satisfy my need. I didn't even have to look to far or hard since Amy had recently pinned this Pan Fried Cheeseburger Wrap, and decided to give it a go.

Ingredients

  • Lightlife Gimme Lean Vegetarian Ground Beef
  • Go Veggie! cheddar cheese slice
  • Iceberg lettuce
  • Burrito tortilla 
  • White onion
  • Garlic
  • Dijion mustard
I got the cheese and vegetarian ground beef at Whole Foods

1. Chop up your white onion and garlic. I did about 1/2 cup of chopped onion and about 3 cloves of garlic.

1/2 cup of white onion and 3 cloves of garlic

2. In a large skillet with a little bit of olive oil, toss in your chopped onion and garlic and combine with the entire tube of vegetarian ground beef. At this point, I salt and peppered to taste. You'll definitely need it. I used tongs to move around my ingredients and removed from the heat once the vegetarian ground beef began to sear and heat all the way through. About five minutes.

I used tongs to break up the ground beef

3. While the hamburger mixture was off the heat. I quickly chopped up about 1/4 a head of iceberg lettuce. Just large shreds.

So crisp and fresh

4. Assembling the wrap is really easy. You just do not want to get too close to the edge so your ingredients don't spill over the edges. You also do not want to stuff it too much or the tortilla may split in the pan. I layered the iceberg lettuce, then the hamburger, split a slice of cheese in half, and swirled dijon mustard across the top.

Easier to assemble than anything at IKEA

To wrap your cheeseburger, you first pull up the short ends towards the cheese. Next you take on of the large flaps and pull over the entire filling and tuck under the mixture and continue to roll over over onto the exposed flap until everything is packaged up nicely.

5. In a larger skillet, slightly cover the bottom with a nice olive oil. I actually used truffle oil, just because it's in my pantry. Turn the heat to medium and place your wrap seam side down.

My version of two peas in a pod

6. After about 90 seconds you want to flip your wrap. I was pretty excited that it stayed together on the flip and had a nice dark crust, but was not burned. Like a good grilled cheese!

Halfway there!

7. 90 more seconds on the other side and you're done! Place on cutting board and slice in half. I served mine with half an avocado.

Cheeseburger cheeseburger!

The wrap was warm all the way through. The cheese was nice and melty, the lettuce crisp, and the dijon mustard added just enough tang to cut through the sweetness of the cheese and soy vegetarian beef. The meat made enough for four wraps, so we'll probably indulge again at another meal over the weekend. This completely satisfied my burger craving. YAYAYAY!

Cheers,

Kate

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...